Friday 31 May 2013

Mudroom Makeover

As balmy summer nights approach, S.B and I started brainstorming where we can sleep more guests. We decided to put a daybed in the mudroom, and in a flash S.B. built a frame using wood leftover from our deck rail (which he also built!) Inspired by how it freshened up the space, I overhauled the whole room into the ultimate chill-out zone.

Here's the room before we started:



The white floor was dingy from muddy winter boots and piled wood.
There's S.B. in the background, running away from home.




First we painted the floor a dark chocolate brown. Afterward, I added a
large mat in the same colour to protect the paint from sandy beach feet.




We acquired a comfy wicker chair, courtesty of Mom.



I placed a soft hemp rug under the daybed, moved in some plants and a 
woven ottoman to use as a side table. I sewed most of the cushion covers 
myself out of colorful cloth lap napkins I bought for 50 cents a piece.



A portable turntable provides the soundtrack to summmer. 



On the other side we have additional seating (recognize the chair?),
walls hooks for coats and a steamer trunk for footwear.



Presto! Mudroom, guest quarters and relaxing hang-out zone in one.
Total cost of makeover: $40 (for paint, cushion covers, candles and mat)


No comments:

Post a Comment